Monday, August 23, 2010

What I learned/taught from JMB and Michael Ruhlman

9:45AM
I call Roy.  This conversation is going to suck.  I really hate disappointing people in general, but especially like this.
I forgot how mellow and California he is. "No problem, the event isn't for 2 hours and we have lots of tomatoes here.  Come on down, we have staff who can help you.  It's all good..."

Subtext: "Cooks get there".

Yes we do.  I forgot.  FUCKING HELL.  yup.  Be there soon.

So... simple is good yes?  How about Panzanella?  My favorite thing of the summer. That is easy.

Roll in at 10:15.  Just my apron and one bavarian so we can all see how much of a tool I am.

Roy's Kitchen/Chef Mark's kitchen is a mellow place filled with happy confident people.  They make me glad I took the time to shave.  This isn't a disaster morning, just merely a new culinary opportunity.

Diced tomatoes, toasted bread, pickled red onions, herbs etc
So, Alan (cook, nice guy) and I start making a panzanella.  Easy stuff. We get the whole thing done in around an hour, leaving me plenty of time to mingle.

Everybody loves panzanella.  Toasted ciabatta, large dice heirloom tomatoes, arugula, thinly sliced onions (in this case lightly pickled), EVOO, herbs, salt. Thats pretty much it.  a touch of vinegar to balance.  The tomatoes need to be the stars.  And they are.  The dish was fantastically successful and no one called me an idiot (at least not to my face ;)

Many people came back for 3rds, even fourths!!!


finished product

So what did I learn today?  hmmm?

  • Cooks get there
  • Simple really is better
  • you need a powerful kitchen to pull of complex garde manger for a crowd
  • Jello does suck.   

4 comments:

  1. Yes, yes we do. By the way this posted prompted Carrie to ask me, "Are you *the* JMB Gabe mentions?!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was SO good, you sold out!!! I was bummed I didn't shoot video of you earlier in the day. When I finally came by, all that was left was a terribly clean station, a few empty plates and a stack of business cards. Thankfully, the photographer got some shots of you and your dish...glad to see you did too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't Julia write that if it doesn't work out, you present it in a different manner and call it something else? What if you had blended the bavarians, and made a parfait, similar to the Goat cheese and Beet parfait?

    ReplyDelete