Monday, August 2, 2010

New Chapters/ Phoenix rising

Welcome to Alchemy in the Kitchen! This blog is going to be dedicated to the pursuit of understanding food through the lenses of both science and camaraderie. Kind of a weird combo, but hey, that is how my mind works. Food makes me happy and excited but only if there is someone there to eat it.

We are supposed to laugh and sing and revel in each other's company around the table.  Food is the magic glue, inherited from our grandmas that keeps the families together and makes the friendships interesting.  The problem is, most of us didn't get it from our Grandmas (or families) at all. We might be the first generation in the history of Man that is so disconnected from our pasts and our families that we don't think in terms of family suppers anymore, instead most of us eat alone or as couples.  It makes us sad, but we can't quite put a finger on why.

This can change... every dinner party we throw, every time we drop the roast chicken on the floor, laugh, pick it up and charge the dining room bellowing "Dinner's ready"... we can change this paradigm, a little at a time.  The only way to do this is through education.  This blog and the remainder of my professional life, I am dedicating to bringing family and friends around the table.  Starting with my kids and my family and moving to yours.  I will post culinary experiments and recipes and tips and techniques here.  Please download lots and tell me about your adventures in food.

It's funny: I have this silly tatoo on the back of my neck that is the culinary symbol for Salt.  Since getting it I have amused myself trying to get other chefs to get it as well. (4 so far) saying "Dude, salt is like what we are... the metaphorical and metaphysical transformation of ingredients into like, nourishment... something magical, Man! It's like Alchemy".

I am no longer in a Chef role.  I am not the Chief of any tribe.  But salt is still what I am:  A catalyst, converting something simple into something amazing.  I hope to share this with anyone reading and spread a beautiful transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment